Finally saw Slumdog Millionaire

This weekend seems to be a different one. Actually, I am behaving a little crazy, as I am on a movie watching spree. I wanted to watch at least four movies this weekend. However, managed to do bookings for three. Could have gone for the fourth one if I did not have a class today (Saturday, February 7, 2009). Anyways, still watching three movies in a theatre over a weekend is a first time for me. The first one in this list was Slumdog Millionaire, which I watched today evening.

Have been hearing about this movie for so long now. Actually, seems like an over doze. Every news channel for last nearly one month has some news or the other related to the movie, its cast and crew. Maybe it deserves that as it has been getting awards left right centre. So today was my turn to watch it.

As a first impression, the movie is good. Direction, look n feel, performances, music, all are different and good. Its actually nice to see how an English director treated an Indian subject. It breaks the monotony that we Indians might be used to watching our movies. They at times look so similar and from the same factory.

Anyways, coming back to the movie, I think the child artists stole the show and are the real stars of this movie. However, it is sad to see that none of the child stars have been highlighted as much as they contribute to the success of the movie. There are many others who are treating this movie as their personal endeavor, even if they had a screen time of just a few minutes. Anyways, it is human nature to feel proud and more closely related to anything that becomes a success.

The movie starts well, though it feel like a drag as it moves on. At one point I lost complete interest in it that I actually dozed off. Honestly, I should not blame the movie for it because I was short on sleep today. Have been struggling to be awake throughout the day. The highlights of the movie for me were,

  • The complete scene and background music when kids are running from airport security guards. It was a thumping start to the movie.
  • Young Jamal, especially his cute face and smile
  • Jamal’s shitty escape to get a glimpse of Amitabh
  • Salim taking the reigns of controlling the kid gang and sending them for work
  • Train experiences of Jamal and Salim
  • Saurabh Shukla’s scenes
  • When Jamal and Salim meet after a long time and are sitting at an under construction high rise building
  • Jamal and Latika’s meeting at the gangster’s house

There are a few other good scenes, but don’t remember them right now. Actually, loosing patience to remember them and pen them down. However, will have to mention the low light of the movie and that is the accent put on by Irfan and Anil Kapoor. Anil’s accent might be considered bearable, but Irfan’s accent was intolerable. One of the most useless performances of Irfan, otherwise a serious and good actor.

The weekend is half-way through. I am looking forward to the other two movies I have planned for Sunday. Lets see if I am able to share my experience about them. I have to still get a hang of this blogging thing. Till next time, chao…

1 comment:

  1. Wow! U should start your own show like Rajeev Masand... Splendid read... u captured the essence of the movie through the highlights and the lowlight...

    ReplyDelete