Its Oscar fever in India… I’m gripped too… though a little late…

There are couple of topics in my heart for which I have been wanting to write about since last week or so, but its the Oscar fever that has gripped me and I am writing about it before I start with those topics. It is just a few moments ago that I witnessed the Oscars coming live from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood and it has hit me hard… i’m gripped. I wasn’t even too serious about watching the live telecast and was not expecting much. Thought Slumdog Millionaire will win a few Oscars, Rahman will win too, but nothing great about it. Though channels and everybody around have been really hyping up the Oscars, especially because Rahman, Gulzar, and Resul are nominated, but the hype didn’t work on me… till I woke up today morning and switched on my TV before even I could open my eye lids.

It was a great ceremony. Though felt a little different from the past Oscar ceremonies that I remember, as the stage was low and small, but still as grand as ever. You have to look at the amazing stages that they create for these awards and the beautiful visuals. The way they showed AVs, the splitting screens, the nominees being introduced by past winners… real treat to watch the show. The musical performance by Rahman was colorful and really good. It was worth watching and skipping office… though was not required, but could work from home, so did it.

Watching Resul Pookutty go on stage in a black Jodhpuri to receive the gold statuette and give an acceptance speech on behalf of the other two fellow sound mixers who received the award along with him, it was nice. The words he uttered and his dedication of the award to our country, it was amazing. Then came the double whammy from Rahman. He looked good and spoke well. I think the moment that highlighted the ceremony for me was the best picture award presentation. The stage was mobbed by the cast and crew of Slumdog. It was awesome to see so many Indian faces on the stage. I think that was the moment which can answer the queries of many who question whether we Indians should be so happy and proud about Slumdog doing so good. I think we should be happy and proud about this movie because it is about India, it is about an Indian, based on a novel written by an Indian, shot in India, most of the actors are Indians, most of the crew is Indian... it has an Indian soul... its just that a Britisher took the courage to make it... I’m happy for the movie, but definitely more for Resul, Rahman, Gulzar, and the child actors...

Jai Ho!

P.S.: Hey I forgot to mention another Indian connection at the Oscars, Smile Pinki, winner of the Oscar for short documentary. Again an Indian subject, documented by an outsider. Indian filmmakers and documentarians, wake up!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you! Wanted to skip work and watch the show...but that was not to be. Hoping to catch the 9 o' clock repeat telecast.

    ReplyDelete