Taking your own life isn’t easy…

It seems these days movies are making me think a lot… and that is why these blogs. Watched Seven Pounds and it made me think that anyways it is difficult it is to take your own life, but what would make you take your own life so that you can help others? I am not sure…. I think I can’t… but will you do that?

Will Smith, someone I really like, as a singer, actor, star… really cool guy. It has been few days since I saw, The Pursuit of Happyness, an amazing movie. I hadn’t even heard about it, till i saw it on HBO. A wonderful story of a really determined man, Christopher Paul Gardner (Chris Gardner), who dreamt and did everything possible to realize his dreams. Wonderful acting by Will Smith and really good direction by Gabriele Muccino. I like this movie so much that I have watched it few times so far (also because it keep coming on HBO) and still can watch it again. Actually, it is a coincidence that the movie is on HBO at this present moment when I am penning this blog :) A must watch movie for all.

It was this movie that made me really go watch Seven Pounds. Now you can ask, what's the connection? There are two, Seven Pounds has Will Smith and is directed by Gabriele Muccino. I thought these were compelling reasons to go watch it as soon as it releases in India, and that's what I did. Couldn’t watch it first or second day, but made it to the first show on Sunday.

As the movie started, I struggled to get grips of what was happening. So much so that I thought whether I made the right decision to watch this movie, however, slowly I started getting involved. For a long time you might wonder why is this guy, Ben Thomas (Will Smith) whose actual name is Tim Thomas (but he tries to impersonate his brother Ben throughout the movie), is nearly stalking few people and trying to do good for them. Even those people in the movie are as lost about Ben’s motive as the audience watching the movie. However, you might be able to connect the dots, which are really difficult to find, as the movie goes on. Ben identifies seven folks who he wants to help. The common connection with all is that they are suffering from some critical medical conditions. Now, this made me think about why Ben is on a look out for such folks and how can he help them. Its soon that I realize that the plot of the movie might be related to organ donation and towards the end of the movie, my thoughts are confirmed. Now, the question was why is Ben so interested in doing that. I at times thought that maybe he himself is suffering from a life threatening illness and wants to identify folks to whom he can donate his organs. However, there are some flashbacks that are shown, which make you think that there might be some other reason and that Ben is trying to earn some good karma to pay for something bad that he might have done earlier.

It is at the end that this reason becomes evident and it is disturbing to know what he does to help these guys. He actually kills himself, in a rather unique way by using a jelly fish. The reason that drives him do this is his guilt of killing his girl friend and a family of six in a road accident. Its only at the end of the movie that this is shown clearly and it is then that when you connect the final dot to complete the picture. It is his guilt of killing seven folks that makes him look out for seven other people who he can really help and change the course of their lives for good.

The end is so tragic and painful that you are forced to think why would someone do that. On the other hand, you can’t help but appreciate the courage of this guy to take his own life to help seven others and come to terms with his guilt of taking seven lives. I found it difficult to hold my emotions and was nearly in tears to see it happen. An amazing experience that makes you wonder how can some stories affect you. And, seeing them in a movie just brings it much closer to you.

Will Smith is great and so is Muccino’s direction. All other actors played their parts wonderfully, whether it is an old lady in the hospital, a blind call centre employee, or Emily Paso, who is suffering from a critical heart disease. The conversation of Ben with this blind call center employee is so rude that you really feel angry about how can someone be so insensitive. And then there is a short but sweet relationship with Emily. Its so touching to see Ben and Emily together, knowing that it is not going to last for more than a few days.

A wonderful, emotional, heartfelt, lovely, sweet, tearful movie that motivates you to think above I and inspires you to do something for others, selflessly.

P.S.: Important learning from the movie, don’t use phone when driving.

1 comment:

  1. Man, this is philosophical, but cool! I will surely check out this movie. Great review. Maybe you should start rating the movies too!

    ReplyDelete